Nostradamus eat your heart out
The road to the Finals will not be easy, no tournament ever is. The Bruins have the top seed in the Eastern Conference and look to be the favorites to make it to the Stanley Cup Finals. Now that puts a huge target on their backs and they will have to perform at the level that they have performed at all season long. It's never just enough to make it, you need to prove that you belong. So here goes my attempt at blindly picking the winner of each round of the 2009 NHL Playoffs*.
#1 Boston Bruins vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens
- This is not the first time that these 'Original Six' members have met in the first round of the playoffs. Montreal and Boston have always played each other tough. This will be a tough round for the B's but I'm going with Boston in 6 games.
#2 Washington Capitals vs. #7 New York Rangers
- For this series I'll take the Capitals. New York will make it interesting though and it will go to seven games. Washington wins 4 games to 3.
#3 New Jersey Devils vs. #6 Carolina Hurricanes
- Carolina wins this round in an upset 4 games to 2.
#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Philadelphia Flyers
- Philadelphia will take this one with ease, 4 games to 1.
#1 Boston Bruins vs. #6 Carolina Hurricanes
- I'll take the Bruins in 6 games again this round.
#2 Washington Capitals vs. #5 Philadelphia Flyers
- The Flyers win this round 4 games to 3 in another big upset in the Eastern Conference.
#1 Boston Bruins vs. #5 Philadelphia Flyers
- This series is going to go seven games. I felt that this years playoffs would be difficult and the journey through the Eastern Conference has shown that to be true so far in my predictions.
Now it's time to move on to the Western Conference where again I have little to no knowledge of teams and/or players. I strongly encourage using my picks to gamble with because, well, I have nothing to lose, so shoot for the moon and if you're undecided on a matchup just use my handy playoff guide.
#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Anaheim Ducks
- Hands down probably the easiest pick for me to make. The Sharks have the best record in the NHL and should be able to take care of business against the Ducks. I'm seeing a sweep here, 4 games to zero.
#2 Detroit Red Wings vs. #7 Columbus Blue Jackets
- I feel this is another easy pick to make so I'm going with Detroit to win in 5 games.
#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #6 St. Louis Blues
- No upset coming out of this match up. Vancouver wins in 6 games.
#4 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #5 Calgary Flames
- I think Calgary can take this series but they will need all of the games to do it. Calgary wins 4 games to 3.
#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #5 Calgary Flames
- Not happening this time Calgary. Sharks in 5.
#2 Detroit Red Wings vs. #3 Vancouver Canucks
- This is going to be a great series. There will be hard fought games throughout and I see Vancouver winning in 6 games.
#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #3 Vancouver Canucks
- Another seven game series that I think the Sharks will be the team that comes out standing.
Stanley Cup Finals:
- Boston Bruins vs. San Jose Sharks
I know I'm picking the top two teams from each Conference but these are the two best teams in the league this season and they have been on this collision course for each other all season long. This series will be a tough one. The long season catching up with both teams. However tired they might be though not one person from either side will give up. There is too much at stake. The chance to call yourselves Stanley Cup Champions and to hoist that cup is weighing on everyone. I feel that the Bruins will win the series and the Stanley Cup. They will win in 6 games.
So there you have it, my outstanding 2009 NHL playoff projections made completely in the dark and for your betting pleasure. Just another sport season in the books and hopefully another amazing day in Boston sports history as the Bruins are toured around the city as Stanley Cup Champions. (I got chills just typing that)
*(The NHL re-seeds after the first round. So the top remaining seed left from each Conference will always play the lower seed that is left. So don't be confused if upsets are picked and the match ups don't make sense in a traditional tournament way.)